Antivirus programs are designed to keep your computer safe from all kinds of infections. However, sometimes your antivirus program doesn’t recognize a legitimate application and stops you from installing it on your computer. In such a situation, the only way out for you is to disable your antivirus until you have properly installed the desired application. Therefore, we have prepared this step by step guide which describes in detail how to disable antivirus temporarily on your computer.
- How to disable Windows Built-in Antivirus (Windows Defender)
- How to disable other 3rd party antiviruses
How to Disable Windows Defender
Before you disable the antivirus program which you personally installed on your computer you must disable the Windows Defender Security application. The Windows Defender program is by default installed on your computer with your Windows 10 and works in the same way as any other antivirus.
To temporarily disable Windows Defender Security you should follow the steps given below:
1. Search ‘windows powershell’ in the search bar and in the results you will see Windows PowerShell.
4. Now copy the following command ‘Set-MpPreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring $true’. Right click on the top bar of the PowerShell window, click on ‘Edit’ and choose ‘Paste’. This will automatically run this command.
5. Now if you go to Windows Defender Security Center, you can clearly see a Red Cross on Virus & threat protection icon, which is a sign that it’s disabled. You can click ‘Turn on’ to reactivate it after your work is done.
How to Disable other (3rd party) Antivirus Temporarily
The process for disabling an antivirus program is different for each antivirus, but the core process is almost similar. To make things less confusing for you we are sharing the disabling process of three popular antivirus programs. If you have any other antivirus installed on your computer, then don’t worry and follow the same process and you will find similar options on your antivirus, which you can use to temporarily disable your antivirus program.
When disabling Norton antivirus you must turn off both Auto Protect and Smart Firewall feature for a specific duration.
1. Locate Norton icon in the Notification area of the Taskbar.
To temporarily disable Kaspersky protection follow these steps:
1. Open Kaspersky antivirus and on the bottom left corner click on the ‘Gear’ icon to open the Settings page.
To temporarily disable Webroot real-time protection follow the steps given below:
1. Locate Webroot icon in the Notification area.
Turning antivirus off temporarily won’t cause any negative side effects on the safety of your computer. However, after performing your operation you must turn on your antivirus as soon as possible so that the protection shield of your computer is restored again.